111 Minions
97 Advisors
Charming2020

Charmingly Euphemistic

I am currently reading mostly gay romance, mysteries, science fiction, etc.

The Soldier's Scoundrel
Cat Sebastian
Brobots
Trevor Barton
Dark Space
Lisa Henry

Axel's Pup by Kim Dare

Axel's Pup (Werewolves & Dragons Book 1) - Kim Dare Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts - Lyn Gala

The most interesting part of this book for me was the treatment of werewolves in society.  The system of laws was similar to apartheid or Jim Crow, where the wolves have to follow all the laws humans do and many more, but no human has to follow laws with respect to wolves.  It brings to mind the famous Dred Scott case that said slaves and descendants of slaves had "no rights which the white man was bound to respect."  Werewolves aren't slaves anymore, but they aren't citizens either. There are signs toward the end of the book that a civil rights movement is beginning to gather momentum, which made it easier for me to read about.

Werewolves do have some natural advantages that help them survive in this nasty and unfair world.  They are naturally tough and strong - good fighters and hard to kill.  Many of them make a living with sex work or fighting (or both).  They take the view that since they aren't owned anymore, they always have a choice, even if it is only the choice to submit to poor treatment rather than bringing more trouble on themselves. I admired their coping mechanisms, though it was hard to read about.

Bayden is a werewolf and a natural submissive, and it makes things very hard for him when he falls for a human dominant, Axel.  Everything in his experience says don't trust humans, and certainly don't give them any control over you or let them find out anything they can use against you. It is a long process for him to learn to trust, and that made sense. The book dragged for me during this part because I am not that interested in motorcycle riding, bars, or BDSM scenes.

I actually picked up this book because I am always looking for 24/7 BDSM books that I can really get.  The idea kind of fascinates me, but usually I just can't relate.  The best book on that score has been Claimings, Tails and Other Alien Artifacts (and its sequel). The alien culture is so different, while making so much sense on its own terms, that it worked for me.   I figured this book, where one of the characters is a werewolf might work for similar reasons.

This book didn't work as well for me as Claimings, but it was less confusing and annoying than most, because I did feel that everything Axel did was in Bayden's best interests.  Axel made mistakes, but he plainly wasn't being selfish or self indulgent. I still don't get why they each want and need this kind of relationship, but if I take it for granted that they do it seems like a good one. I definitely liked this book better than Duck! The world building was much better and the dom was much more competent and likable.

I am not sure if I will read more books in the series.  If the civil rights aspects are emphasized I probably will, but if it is mostly motorcycles and sex scenes, probably not.  Since 90% of the readership would probably prefer it the other way around, I am guessing I will be disappointed!