111 Minions
97 Advisors
Charming2020

Charmingly Euphemistic

I am currently reading mostly gay romance, mysteries, science fiction, etc.

The Soldier's Scoundrel
Cat Sebastian
Brobots
Trevor Barton
Dark Space
Lisa Henry

Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. Klune

Bear, Otter, and the Kid - T.J. Klune

Sigh.  I guess everyone loves this but me.I waited a long time to read it, because I am not that crazy about contemporary romance, and New Adult books tend to be too emo for me. But everyone loves it and it supposed to be funny, so.

Everyone who loves this book (which is practically everyone) should just skip this review, because I am just going to rant with no attempt at fairness.

Kinds of characters I don't like:

Characters who continually inflict angst on themselves by being stupid

Characters who continually inflict angst on everyone they know by being stupid

Characters who tell stupid, pointless lies

Characters who tell stupid, pointless lies to EVERYONE

Characters who stay just as messed up as they started and never figure anything out or get better or smarter

Characters who are furious at friends or lovers for things they do themselves

Characters who don't come clean when it is the obvious right and smart thing to do

Yeah, this one has all of that.

Plot and story elements I don't like:

Repetition

Continuous flashbacks and flash forwards

When boring stuff is told in excruciating detail

When interesting stuff isn't told at all

Slapstick humor that doesn't even make me smile.

And yes, it has all this too.

I think part of the problem with this book for me was that I listened to the audiobook.  Every flaw was magnified because I couldn't ever skim or skip.  Every time Bear was just about to come clean with someone, something would interrupt.  This happened at least a half a dozen times and I had to be there for every word every time. A character would say "hey" and another character would say "hey yourself" - this must have happened at least ten times, and after a while it was like a screeching clang in my ear - someone would say "hey" and I would just brace myself for "hey yourself."

I probably would have DNFed this, except there was the promise of a dramatic courtroom scene where we would find out what the hell Bear's mom was doing and whether Otter's ex had anything to do with it - but no, no courtroom scene or any other form of resolution.

I am having a reading slump where everything I read is annoying me, so I am going to label this "reading slump" in case I want to come back and reconsider.  I will never like this book, but maybe it won't make me mad that I even read it.