112 Minions
95 Advisors
Charming2020

Charmingly Euphemistic

I am currently reading mostly gay romance, mysteries, science fiction, etc.

The Soldier's Scoundrel
Cat Sebastian
Brobots
Trevor Barton
Dark Space
Lisa Henry

Cost of Repairs by A.M. Arthur

Cost of Repairs - A.M. Arthur

Cost of Repairs was my Amazon Prime borrow for November.  It was fairly engaging and I liked the characters, but a couple of things interfered with my enjoyment.  I wonder if the author is perhaps not an American, because she makes several mistakes that seem typical of a non-American.  I have already returned the book, so I couldn't double check the details below.  From memory:

(1) Few people would accuse this country of having outrageously short prison sentences.  I found it extremely improbable that a gang of people who

beat a guy to death in his own house would be released after two years.

(2) Laws vary by state but again, it is very unlikely that

an accused attacker would not have an automatic no-contact order while the crime is being prosecuted.  Intimidating a witness is itself a crime.

(show spoiler)

(3) I have to think the author lives somewhere with universal health coverage, because it turns out that Rey's

debt from the custody battle amounts to something like $20,000.  He spends several days in the hospital with a coma and has no insurance.  He'd be looking at a $20,000 debt with fond nostalgia after that.  Those medical bills would be an order of magnitude higher.

(show spoiler)

I actually liked the story when I wasn't being yanked out of it.  It does pile on the tragedy and the violence, but I didn't feel angsted to death. I might read the next one.